Half a year.
I cannot believe that I have a six month old baby. It's so hard to wrap my head around that. Somehow Kale went from this tiny little helpless newborn, to a six month old man baby with so.much.personality. Every day he melts my heart a thousand times.
What size of clothes is he wearing?
It's mostly all 6-12 month clothes now. Some of his pants are still a little loose around the middle and he would benefit greatly from a drawstring, but apparently the maker's of baby clothes feel the faux drawstring is enough (it's not.). Also, most sweaters in the 6-12 month range are still too big, but some shirts in the same size are too small. I would seriously like to meet the fit model that is used to size baby clothes.
Milestones in the past month:
- A tooth! After months of teething, Kale's first tooth finally broke through the surface last week. The little white guy is just barely visable, but is sharp as a razor.
- Pulling himself up. When we sit Kale on the floor we put a pillow behind him because he still has a topple now and then and we have hardwood floors. A month a go he'd fall on the pillow and then we'd have to pull him back into a sitting position, but now he can get himself there. You'd never know from looking at that round belly of his, but he's got some enviable stomach muscles in there!
- Sounds. Kale has started to make different sounds to communicate different things. Like when he's tired and wants to register a complaint he goes "BAH, BAH, BAH" (very similar to a sheep). When he's not getting the attention he wants to lets out a squeal that dogs three streets over can hear. And the "whoooo, whooo, whooo" owl noises he used to make to talk to us? They're now more "whooo, haaaaa, ohhhhh." Kids got range.
- Sitting at the table. This past month Kris and I finally stopped eating in shifts and put Kale in his highchair at the table for mealtimes. We also wanted him to start observing us eat to prepare him for joining us soon, but he really doesn't show much interest in what we're doing. He's too busy throwing his toys on the floor and watching us pick them up.
Special outings in the last month:
- Bluegrass Brunch. First time seeing a bluegrass band play. First time meeting our friends Krysten & Jonathan. First time to the big city of Toronto.
- Rockwood Conservation Area.
- First Halloween Party.
- First Municipal election. Ok, so he didn't actually vote, but he was in the voting booth.
What is his routine?
Kale normally wakes up around 5am and Kris will take him out to the living room to play for 45 min. before he passes out again until around 7am. He usually naps around 9am for half an hour, then again around 11am for half another half an hour and then we take a long nap together around 3 or 4pm. He's usually in bed by 8pm and then up and down a thousand times throughout the night. Sometimes he wakes to eat, but most of the time he is asleep before you're even fully standing up and just needs a quick comfort before he's back down. I wake up with as much as I can since Kris takes the early shift in the morning, but I normally have to get Kris to do a couple wake up in the night too because I can be totally useless without sleep. Sometimes Kale doesn't care who is holding him, and sometimes he just wants his mama. We do the best we can and try to get as much sleep as possible and cross our fingers that this phase will pass.
During the day Kale and I watch Arthur on TVO for 20 minutes (our views on TV viewing are for another post), hang out on the floor and play with toys and board books, harrass the cat, and hang out by the window watching the leaves fall. We still go to music and swim classes, which Kale still LOVES, hang out with Lexy and Hudson, do errands, go shopping, and go for walks.
One of my favourite parts of the day is getting dinner ready with Kale. I usually put him in the jumperoo (although he hasn't been a fan in the last few days), turn on CBC Radio 3, and we have a dance/dinner preparation party. When Kris comes home he'll play with Kale in the kitchen while I finish dinner up and then we eat together, drink a glass of wine and catch up on our days.
By the time dinner is finished it's normally time to get Kale ready for bed and so one of us will bath with him, then do the whole bedtime routine.
And tha'ts kind of what our life looks like. And I know that probably isn't interesting to anyone, but I'm hoping the internet won't be extinct by the time Kale grows up and he can look back at this and know what life was like for us.
Kale's favourite things to do:
Kale still loves to do all the same stuff - get tossed around, tickled, have baths, play with his blue cup, and put as many different things in his mouth as possible. However, this month Kale's heart grew for a few different things around the house and so we made this video to share with you:
Here are some of our favourite pictures from the past month: